Centre for Grassroots Relief Work
founded by a group of young people,
mainly students, in response to the huge number of refugees
in Croatia in the summer of 1992. We started work in the
refugee camps in Savudrija, Pula and Gasinci, and still work
in these last two. Suncokret currently works
in 20 refugee centres with approx.
15.000 exiles and refugees. We have about 60 co-workers and a
variable number of volunteers, domestic and foreign.
mostly financed by the UNHCR
and other international organizations.
- providing psycho-social assistance in refugee centres and
increasingly also in local communities (e.g. through
- cooperating in the development of various coordination bodies
of foreign and domestic NGOs
- providing legal, financial and accounting information
- providing councelling assistance to numerous small
- providing information about the situation in Croatia,
in particular about Croatian NGOs (indirectly - almost 2000
Suncokret volunteers have went back home with their
own images of the
and directly - continuous communication with various
organizations and individuals asking for information)
pages courtesy of LOIS (Ljubljana
Open Internet Server).